When I post a request to https://paper-api.alpaca.markets//v2/account
I get a json result that includes plenty of normal well documented stuff. However, it also returns this…
…but **when I read the documentation I do not find any statement about what the status “DISABLED” means. **
Can anyone tell me what it means, or even better, let me know what to do in order to get the status to be “ACTIVE”.
The documentation tells me that an Account request returns an Account object (or maybe the better term is an Account Entity). Whatever.
And at Account - Documentation | Alpaca it tells me that the values of the “status” property are found in a list at the bottom of the page under a heading, oddly enough, called " Account Status".
There are plenty of statuses nicely explained but nothing for DISABLED.
Here are some other property value pairs that are present in the current Account Entity. All of these seem like they are saying “all systems go” and that nothing that would cause disablement is present.
As I look deeper, however there are some fishy aspects.
Here are the fishy key value pairs…
"buying_power": "0", "cash": "0", "equity": "0",
Those values seem wrong. If I go to the web UI it says…
$199,845.71 Buying Power
…This seems contradictory with “equity”: “0”,
and “buying_power”: “0”.
Also, if memory serves, I created my keys did a bunch of stuff (e.g. had a terrible experience with the postman approach described in some sort of ‘getting started’ documentation and made much better progress after I found this YouTube video (URL removed per policy of Alpaca) After I did that bunch of stuff, I noticed that in web UI (for paper trading) it said…
0 Buying Power
…I did some more fiddling, I forget precisely what but I managed to get my my Equity and Buying Power up to, maybe 100,000 each.
So, here’s my theory of what is going on:
- status = DISABLED is an undocumented status. If you don’t have any money in your account then status is DISABLED.
- there is a bug such that if you create your key when you have 0 balance in the paper trading thing, and then later update your balance using the web UI, then API does not get informed of this. It still thinks you have $0 and so , erroneously, returns a status of DISABLED.
I’m probably wrong but figured I’d hazard a guess.
In sum, please tell me:
(1) what does status = “DISABLED” mean
(2) what might I do so that I can get the desired status, i.e. status = "Active"