Crypto Trading Q+A

How do I apply for cryptocurrency trading on Alpaca?
If you already have an account with Alpaca, go to the Account Configurations and switch the toggle next to ‘Crypto trading’.

What cryptocurrencies can I trade on Alpaca?
Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH) and Litecoin (LTC).

What’s the trading hours for cryptocurrencies?
Crypto trading is available around the clock, 7 days a week.

Can I transfer cryptocurrency into/out of Alpaca?
You can buy and sell cryptocurrency on Alpaca. However, we do not support transferring crypto into or out of your account at this time.

Can I short sell crypto?
No. Cryptocurrency is not shortable.

What type of orders are available for crypto?
Market, Limit & Stop-limit orders. Regarding TIF (time-in-force) we have Day, GTC (good till cancel), IOC (immediate or cancel), Fill or Kill & Good Till Date.

What is the settlement period for crypto trades?
Crypto trades settle T+1. Trades done before 11pm CT are considered trade date (T). However, funds are always available for the next trade.

Can I use margin to trade crypto?
No. Cryptocurrency is considered non-marginable .

What are the trading rules for crypto trading?
Cryptocurrency is considered non-marginable. The Pattern Day Trader (PDT) rule applicable to stocks, DO NOT apply to cryptocurrency trades.

3 Likes

I do not have access to crypto trading. I am from California and I am waitlisted.

Can you please invite me for crypto trading?

1 Like

What are the maker/taker fees for the crypto API?

2 Likes

I thought Crypto was available today but when I ask for all assets (i.e. # Get a list of all active assets.
active_assets = api.list_assets(status=‘active’) I don’t get any Cryptos.

1 Like

when will we see crypto through alpaca for new york residents

not to remind you but i have a lot of money in you
@hitoshi @yoshi

1 Like

This is pretty cool, but could use some transparency on its availability.

Any update on when it’ll be available? This waitlist has been somewhat elusive.

• every time I log in, it says “New! Join the Alpaca Crypto Waitlist.”
  • every time I click “Join Now.”, it says “You’re on the waitlist! Now you can sit back and relax.”
  • and there is no waitlist number or any details indicating roughly when we’d be able to use this.

Does anyone have any information on when this will be available?

My understanding is Alapaca is not yet allowing crypto trading in all states. I can trade crypto in my paper account and not my state. Do you have a state by state list?

As far as I can tell, there is no way to automatically include crypto assets in the existing get_ methods. I got around this by manually requesting each asset:

def get_crypto_assets():
    raw_crypto_assets = ['BTCUSD','ETHUSD','BCHUSD','LTCUSD']
    crypto_assets = []
    for crypto in raw_crypto_assets:
        crypto_assets.append(api.get_asset(crypto))

print(crypto_assets)
    return crypto_assets

I appreciate that crypto is still in beta, but it would be great if Alpaca introduced a native get_crypto_assets() method (or similar) in the API.

My understanding is that the fees are the same as for stocks (i.e. essentially zero), but it would be good to get explicit confirmation of this from Alpaca.

When will Crypto trading be available in New Jersey?

There is still not a response with a time line and explanation on when this will be available. The first post is in August and the last request for an updated time line was in November. Since there hasn’t been an update I don’t have much of a reason to hold my breath and stay with Alpaca for more than stock trading. Any evidence to the contrary would be welcome.

The “Open Crypto Account” button is disabled in my dashboard, is it a bug or is it not available yet?

Hi,

Thank you for contributing! We have a dedicated discord focused solely on Crypto related queries with an active community and more engagement. Feel free to join via the invite link below;

Best,

how i feel, say no to crapto…