API question on stop setting and stop surveying

Hi,

I glanced through the API but didn’t see anything about automatic adjustment of stops via the API.

Thoughts?

Stuart

1 Like

What exactly do you mean by automatic adjustment? Can you elaborate on it?

Typically a trailing stop (or a bracket above) are set by a user via the gui at Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity, etc. In order to free oneself from having to set those continuously as the stock goes up or down, they have to use the GUI every day, every week, every month, etc. I looked through the API documentation for Alpaca and saw no way to set or adjust stops so I assume Alpaca’s back-end simply doesn’t implement it and that the “memory” is left open to the GUI and the programmer to “keep state”, run it continuously during market hours (such as with TradeStation, and have it trade out when certain limits are set but with no stops features implemented. That’s my question. Does it or doesn’t it support explicit trailing stops and brackets above for profit cash-out?

Bracket orders and trailing stop orders are not yet implemented. That said, they have been requested by many users and I am hoping to tell you a good news soon.

Trailing Stop - Beta Program

Finally, we are ready for a Beta program for the Trailing Stop. Please see the draft document here.

As of today, we plan to spend a couple of weeks doing a beta test for the Trailing Stop until the full launch. We are looking for 20-30 beta users for Trailing Stop.

If you are interested in this, please fill out your information in this google form so that we can invite you to the private Slack channel.

https://forms.gle/7k4n8xLUHqu7zpnHA