Is Alpaca Down Today?

May 17th 10:50 am ET

I’m getting a lot of (503) Server Unavailable and (504) Gateway Timeout.

Cannot even your your website to place and cancel orders.

VERY, Very unhappy with the platform at the moment!

4 Likes

yeah trapped in a loser right now…would be nice to have a working platform

4 Likes

Same Here. Internal server errors and request timeouts. Whats going on with this service lately

3 Likes

Same. Trapped in a stock that’s dropping and unable to cancel or liquidate. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

503 errors on any attempt to connect and cancel through the API. Online dashboard is also unresponsive.

I don’t suppose they offer any refunds for this kind of problem.

6 Likes

This really shakes confidence considering this is a financial platform.

It sucks to have coded my stuff for Alpaca already, but what is the next best reliable platform we can use - for those who were also impacted.

If we do end up losing money like this, is there any sort of governance or insurance? I am in testing phases so no real impacts yet but I can see this going south very quickly…

5 Likes

The service just recovered and my sell went through. Rough day though, and the service being down made it worse. I’m using real money, not fake.

3 Likes

There was a failure this morning with the systems which handle messaging (eg orders and responses from Alpaca’s execution partners). The systems restarted, but time was spent manually checking to ensure no orders which were ‘canceled’ actually were executed. It turned out to not be the case and all pending cancel orders were manually cleared. There will be a better summary updated on the status page later today.

4 Likes

I am trading live on this platform for some time now. Glitches like that happen from time to time and they are very frustrating. I was actually thinking of transferring more funds to my Alpaca account. Now i’m thinking maybe i should move some funds away from here.

5 Likes

Same thing today, 9:37 EST 05/19/2021 I am unable to execute orders because why? What is the functional issue with this platform and why should I continue to use it if this is a reoccurring issue?

4 Likes

Two days in a row, extremely unreliable platform.

5 Likes

As of 9:40 this morning the service is down. Can’t sell on the website or through the api, getting

sleep 3 seconds and retrying https://api.alpaca.markets/v2/orders 3 more time(s)...
alpaca_trade_api.rest.APIError: service unavailable
3 Likes

I’m really pissed off at this point.Good thing their status page shows all is fine :slight_smile: https://status.alpaca.markets/

3 Likes

…loosing literal money as we speak. Can we at least get an update?

5 Likes

Same here. Test system is unavailable. Haven’t tried real-time. Look on the bright side. Status page says ‘all good’.

3 Likes

I’m trading with real money - and a good amount of it. Since 9:38 am EST today all I get is “service unavailable”.

5 Likes

This might be a good time to ask about other trading API services that have better up time. Anyone know of any alternatives?

2 Likes

I’ve used other brokers (Tradier, IKBR) and honestly this kind of occurrence has happened on all of them. You can try and find a perfect broker but accidents happen that they cant predict. Hopefully they alleviate the problem soon and your loses aren’t substantial

4 Likes

100% agree. What will separate Alpaca from the rest is 1) owning outage, 2) accurately representing facts on Status page, 3) meaningfully addressing root cause of outages and proactively fixing issues, and 4) adding system redundancy where appropriate.

4 Likes

Same what the heck is going on Ive only been on here a month thinkning to build a bot but this stuff cannot happen

3 Likes

I have to agree with Beauj34 post above - all retail brokers have issues from time to time. It is kind of pointless to leave Alpaca for another because of that. However, i’m still pissed they had outages twice this week.

4 Likes