First trade attempt error, cannot find stock

Environment

Language
Let us know what language you’re writing your code in. Please include the version number you’re running, if possible.

Alpaca SDK Version
If you’re using an SDK library to interface with the Alpaca API, please include the version number you have installed in your environment.

Other Environment Details
If there’s anything else you’d like to invlude about the environment you’re running your code in - operating System, cloud provider, etc. - list it here.

Problem

Summary
Describe the provlem you’re running into here.
Error is !Failed to get assert XX.US error: XX.US notfound [sic]
Error 055: No XX prices.

Paper or Live Tradng?
Let us know if you’re using the paper trading simulator or the live trading API.
Live
Example Code
If you have code that reproduces the problem or will make your issue more clear, please include it here

Alpaca currently provides trading of stocks which are listed on the major US stock exchanges. A complete list of the ‘tradable’ stocks can be fetched using the [assets](https://alpaca.markets/docs/api-documentation/api-v2/assets/) API.

Avante Logixx (ticker XX) is traded on the Toranto stock exchange and OTC in the US. It’s therefore not tradable on Alpaca.

It’s a good practice to look at, or have your algo look at, the assets list and ensure a stock is tradable before submitting orders.

Good luck.

Thanks but I think BB, traded on the NYSE, should be valid.

Karen Higgins

Yes, the symbol BB is valid and represents BlackBerry Ltd which, as mentioned, trades on the NYSE. One can trade this stock as ‘BB’. Is there an issue or error when trying to trade this stock?

Yes. I get an error from Zorro that Polygon cannot find BB.US.

I used symbol BB. So Zorro is apparently converting it to BB.US in a script that I cannot access.

I purchased it through a Python app. Looks like Zorro does not work with Alpaca.

Karen Higgins

Ah, I understand now. Applying the exchange suffix (US in this case) is a common way to uniquely identify stocks and/or tickers with the exchange or country they trade in. Alpaca doesn’t recognize that format unfortunately. This is the first time this has come up. I’ll submit a feature request to have stock XYZ and XYZ.US recognized as both the same stock.

Sorry this doesn’t however, solve your immediate problem.