Turn off margin

Would be great if there is an option to just turn off margin

7 Likes

I wonder why the requirement for margin. If no margin then no PDT and can trade with higher frequency. I suspect with margin enabled Alpaca earns more revenue based on per stock traded while routing? But if no margin, then trading frequency higher. eg could trade 1 minute candles rather than daily candles.

2 Likes

Totally agree. For people who only want to use their own money to trade, they should have the choice. These margin calls are annoying. It will be sent even you are only using your own money and force you to deposit more money.

1 Like

I feel like everytime I’m ready to go live with Alpaca, I run into an issue. Now, it is the simple fact that I can’t disable margin trading.

1 Like

I agree 100%. I have no interest in using the margins. Can we please have an option to turn off Margins?

1 Like

That would be great, because I don’t want to accidentally use it. Also if it disables PDT protection at the same time, that you be another plus.

1 Like

I agree as well. Should be an option to disable margin, just like there is with short selling. This is a big problem as I have alerts coming from tradingview set to buy and sell, but only want to use the funds I have available in cash, and not margin.

Please Dev Masters, please add a feature to disable margin trading, thank you :slight_smile:

The SEC defines a Pattern Day Trader (PDT) as executing four or more day trades within five business days. The SEC requires that all registered US brokerages impose margin requirements on any account that qualifies as a PDT. This is a rule from the SEC and not something any registered US broker/dealer could avoid.

Here is a helpful document provided by the SEC describing the margin rules for day trading. https://www.sec.gov/files/daytrading.pdf

I understand what you are saying. However, I am not a “Day Trader”. I perform “Swing Trades” and invest in dividends.

‘daytrading_buying_power’: ‘0’,
‘daytrade_count’: 0

According to FINRA, the investor and broker must “agree” to use margins. I don’t care to leverage margins. I purposefully code to not perform day trading. Therefore, we should be able to disable margins if day trading criteria hasn’t been reached:

If they feel they can’t disable margins. At the very least they can add a couple more entries into the account endpoint:

pending_order_amount - to show what cash you have promised for pending limit orders
deposited_avail_cash - to allow us to view the money we have left from our deposits w/o the margin added.

I don’t believe this to be unreasonable ask.