Trade or Bars data inaccuracy

Hi , i have an issue with trade or bars data. Trade data does not correspond to bars data. I have an Unlimited subscription. For example:

As we can see that volume, open, low, close are identical in both dataframes (from aggregated trade data and downloaded bars data), BUT the high price is different!

So, my question is what is wrong here? Trade data or bars data? Or am i doing smth wrong?

It is a fundamental issue i think.

If someone from Alpaca support can help me, i would greatly appreciate this. Thank you

@johnyssan The basic issue is that not all trades are used to calculate ‘bars’. To calculate bars from actual trades you first need to filter the trades by the trade condition attribute. There is an explanation of this in this article.

Does that help?

Thank you very much. I have updated my aggregation function to exclude several trade conditions based on UTP Specification you provided, and it works. Bars are identical.

I appreciate your support.

UPDATE for those who may be facing the same problem as me.

Based on page 43 of the UTP Specifications there are specific trade conditions that need to be excluded for accurate high, low, open, close, and volume calculations. This is critical for those building their own bars from trade data.

def aggregate_to_5min_bars(df, price_column='price', size_column='size', conditions_column='conditions'):
    # Define conditions to exclude for high/low, open/close, and volume
    excluded_conditions_high_low = {'C', 'H', 'I', 'M', 'N', 'Q', 'R', 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', '7'}
    excluded_conditions_volume = {'M', 'Q', '9'}
    excluded_conditions_open_close = {'C', 'G', 'H', 'I', 'M', 'N', 'P', 'Q', 'R', 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'Z', '4', '7'}

# Ensure the DataFrame index, which is the timestamp, is sorted
    df.sort_index(inplace=True)

# Filtering logic: Exclude trades for high and low calculations if any condition matches the exclusion list
    df_high_low = df[~df[conditions_column].apply(lambda x: any(cond in excluded_conditions_high_low for cond in x))]
    # Exclude trades for volume calculations if any condition matches the exclusion list
    df_volume = df[~df[conditions_column].apply(lambda x: any(cond in excluded_conditions_volume for cond in x))]
    # Exclude trades for open and close calculations if any condition matches the exclusion list
    df_open_close = df[~df[conditions_column].apply(lambda x: any(cond in excluded_conditions_open_close for cond in x))]

# Resample to 5-minute intervals for OHLC calculations
    ohlc = df_open_close[price_column].resample('5T').ohlc()
    ohlc['high'] = df_high_low[price_column].resample('5T').max()
    ohlc['low'] = df_high_low[price_column].resample('5T').min()

# Open and Close prices use df_open_close which filters out specified conditions
    ohlc['open'] = df_open_close[price_column].resample('5T').first()
    ohlc['close'] = df_open_close[price_column].resample('5T').last()

# Volume calculation includes all trades except those with excluded conditions
    ohlc['volume'] = df_volume[size_column].resample('5T').sum()

# Calculate VWAP for each bar using all trades
    vwap = (df[price_column] * df[size_column]).resample('5T').sum() / ohlc['volume']
    ohlc['VWAP'] = vwap.replace([np.inf, -np.inf], np.nan)  # Replace infinite values with NaN
    ohlc['trade_count'] = df.resample('5T').count()[price_column]

return ohlc

start_str = '2024-02-14T18:00:00-00:00'
end_str = '2024-02-14T19:00:00-00:00'

# Fetch trades
data_trades = api.get_trades(
    'AAPL',
    start=start_str,
    end=end_str,
    limit=None,
    feed='sip'
).df

data_trades.head()

df_5m = aggregate_to_5min_bars(data_trades)
df_5m

After comparing aggregated data with Alpaca’s bars data, we can see that aggregated and downloaded bars are identical

start_str = '2024-02-14T18:00:00-00:00'
end_str = '2024-02-14T18:55:00-00:00'

data_bars = api.get_bars(
        'AAPL',
        TimeFrame(5, TimeFrameUnit.Minute),
        start=start_str,
        end=end_str,
        adjustment='raw',
        limit=None,
        feed='sip'
    ).df

data_bars[[
    'open',
    'high',
    'low',
    'close',
    'volume',
    'vwap',
    'trade_count'
]]

@johnyssan Thanks for the update. Very helpful. Glad it worked out for you.