Technical Indicator API

It would be nice to have REST API to technical indicators. SMA and bollinger bands are my favorites. My math is ok but I don’t trust myself completely writing these. I use another service which is going start charging. It would be nice if Alpaca offered this.
Thank you.

1 Like

As long as you have access to bars data, technicals like MAs and Bands are fairly easily to calculate and verify calculations on a site like tradingview…

Would you mind giving me some pseudocode on howe to achieve this?
Thank you.

What language are you working in? I would imagine there are existing libraries for this.

Java. I looked but couldn’t find anything yet.

I just found a library. When I was searching before I must have put in the wrong query. Thanks for pushing my blindness aside.

function 50MA (listOfBars) {
totalClosingPrice = 0;
listOfBars.foreach((x, index) => {
totalClosingPrice += x.closingPrice
if(index = 50){ break }
})
return (totalClosingPrice / 50)
}

here is a some psuedo-javascript example of taking in a list of bars(with your specified time frame) and returning a 50MA.

Look at anything TA-Lib based,

Agree that it would reduce the entry barriers if API could support indicators next to prices. Timeseries is a harder problems than it looks .

I used following python code the get ‘pandas’ output format.

df = api.alpha_vantage.techindicators(techindicator=‘RSI’, output_format=‘pandas’, symbol=‘AAPL’, interval=‘1min’, time_period=myperiod, series_type=‘close’)

But the output format is ‘json’. What is wrong? Please help!

What worked for me is to change the out put format to json
output_format=‘json’

example
tsla_sma = api.alpha_vantage.techindicators(techindicator=‘SMA’,symbol=‘TSLA’, interval=‘60min’, time_period=‘20’, series_type=‘close’,output_format=‘json’)
tsla_sma_data = tsla_sma.pop(‘Technical Analysis: SMA’)
tsla_sma_meta = tsla_sma.pop(‘Meta Data’)

Once you got your dictionarys split out then convert them to a dataframe

tsla_sma_data_df = pd.DataFrame.from_dict(tsla_sma_data,orient=‘index’,dtype=‘float64’)

While calculating technicals can be a pain, it’s much better to do it internally than sending a REST call.

The round trip time (RTT) for a rest call can easily be anywhere between 200ms-500ms depending on where the server is located. On the other hand, it’s much much faster to calculate it internally, overall giving your algo better execution times.

2 Likes